View Single Post
Old 24-08-2010, 11:09   #6
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
I read that weeks back and it doesn't really make sense. I grew up around Shibas and they don't look like foxes or coyotes, though the one in the article was kind of piebald so not very orange as most Shiba are.

Shiba are in the 20lb range.. what Coyote is 20lbs?

So strange..
Our Finnish spitz (and the breeder gets this, too) was often mistaken for a fox or some fox-hybrid. But, they're far more plush than a shiba inu.

As for size, I think coyotes are generally in the 30-45 pound range, I can see a malinois being confused for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivals View Post
Sadly for now this is what I expect would happen. I have people come up to me on the street and ask if my Husky is a wolf. Not even hybrid or anything, multiple times people have asked if he's just wolf. I don't want to know what would happen to him if he got out and the person who ended up finding him thought he was a wolf, especially someone with the authority to decide whether or not he could stay at a shelter.
All the more reason to call every shelter if you can if a dog does get loose, let them know the breed, if it's microchipped, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
I'd be so scared if he got loose and ended up at a shelter though, I don't know what they'd do. I think different branches have different policy's for 'hybrid's' At the SPCA I worked at we scanned every single animal, no matter how feral or wild for a microchip so I feel safe for that at least. But basically I'll just never let him out of my sight!!
It's good to know some shelters scan all animals but there are different scanners and if the shelter doesn't have the $$$ to buy the different scanners or the "all in one" scanner, they may not see the chip. Even if it's the same registry, they still may not see it (one animal was recently euthanized because they missed the microchip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
( If it´s really true - it´s hard for me to believe that someone can not see the difference between a shiba inu and a coyote.)
Just Google the shelter - just on the first page 4 or 5 links were to this story. Too many to be completely fabricated.

Last edited by draggar; 24-08-2010 at 13:00.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote