View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 16:10   #25
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

Thank you for your point of view hanka.
I quite agree with you, for me 6 weeks is perfect, unless socialization is done well.
By this I mean not necessarily to stay with dogs.
Perfect breeder would bring dogs, separately, amongst people and in different environments.
Who produces many dogs (.. ..) cannot do this because it is too time wasting.
I remember crazy Margo brought all the new litter to slovakian summer camp (I saw from photos and was told by friends)
This is risky for health but FANTASTIC for socialization.
I absolutely agree that if dogs stay too long with breeder amongst dogs seeing only dogs and breeder...shy dog comes out...consequently it is best to give dogs before (and it is also cheaper!!)
In this case all depends on owner.

Please Ina do not take it as an offence from Hanka as it is clear to me she is just making an example.

I can speak about my own example.
I have one Passo del Lupo dog and one Crying wolf dog.

Passo del lupo makes many dogs and from my experience there is not a percentage of dogs more or less shy.
I am friend of Fabio (and friend of many others...) and I know that in the past the most shy dogs of his were...his own!!! not the ones he sold!
Today things are changing because growth of puppies is changing (inviting friends to play with puppies for a long time for example)
I have also a Crying Wolf dog.
All litter of my Lunatica (the ones I saw) grew up quite shy. Very shy.
Also Lunatica would have been very shy if I didn't make extreem efforts in socialization (from 60days to 90 days, every evening a walk in the city center, alone just me and her).
But....she remains suspicious and wolfish deep inside!
I also had at home a puppy of Oliver and Upstream for 15 days before selling her.
They have both excellent characters, and I made the same socialization of this puppy.
Today she has the best character i've ever seen. afraid of nothing and nobody!!!

Socialization is FUNDAMENTAL from 5 weeks to 3 months, according to me, and either done by new owner (better) or by breeder (more difficult) it should be done.

Massimo