View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 20:17   #21
Gypsy Wolf

Lupis, as for my girlfriend's choice of Crying Wolf, that was HER decision, not mine. I introduced her to the breed, she did some research - including looking at the bonitation of the dam, and decided she liked the sire so much, she was willing to risk sharpness. She is also a long-time working-line Malinois person, so sharpness is something she LIKES. A little "skitziness" or "nervy" behavior is common in Malinois and not something that bothers her.
She wanted a vlcak that would be flashy in competitive obedience and liked to bite. Edgy behavior was not a worry for her. In fact, she sort of feels that such behavior often goes hand in hand with the ultra-sensitivity and reactiveness she likes to see in a flashy dog.
I fully trust her ability to work with just about any temperament, and of course the final decision is hers.
Personally, I much prefer going to the breeder's home and seeing parents for myself. Though I did trust a good friend to select an import GSD for me, sight-unseen. My girlfriend was comfortable with Edit sending her the puppy sight-unseen. Again, her call.
So we'll see how it goes. So far the puppy has greatly surprised her with his resilience to all the stress he's gone through during a serious period in development.
And really, I know a LOT of Malinois breeders - show and working lines. I don't know ANY that have had a "perfect record" when it comes to temperament. There are often fruitloops produced in the breed, regardless of how careful you are. Vlcaks are similar in many ways to Malinois. With Edit's number of litters produced in her many years, no doubt a few fruitloops crop up from time to time. You can't help it breeding the kind of temperament the breed has.
I would bet if you bred a few litters you would see that for yourself. It happens.
So don't get a puppy from Crying Wolf - your choice. Just as it was my friend's choice to do so. I respect your opinion - you have said your piece. Now I would appreciate your respect as well - criticizing a newbie is not really such a good way to welcome them into the breed. Educating them is.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote