View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04   #20
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

HI all, I would like to add my small amount of water to this sea ;o) as Przemek mentioned my Frei.

I have a feeling there might be another bias when considering some dog providing "working line". Here is hypothetical situation:

There is a stud dog with IPO3 named X. There is another stud dog without IPO3 (because his owner does not give a damn about exams) with very similar good character as X, named Y.

There is a potential buyer, who wants for some reason to have a working dog and he wants CsV (not GS or BS or border collie etc.). He decides to buy puppy after X, because X has exam and his owner propagates him as working line founder. The puppy has a good character and his owner is able to make exams with it.

There is another buyer who doesn't give a damn about exams, just wants a good character wolfdog, and as the puppies of Y are slightly cheaper than those of X, he takes puppy from Y. The puppy has also good character but the owner teaches it basic obedience and funny tricks for his children.

Let's say this happes several times with puppies after X and Y in several generations. Let's say that every time the breeders of both "lines" are very responsible and choose very precisely mate for their dog, so the character remains very good for several generations. In the end, we would have two lines - one "working" line, where every generation has at least one IPO dog, while the second line has no exams or only minor ones. But the character is very similar, it all depended only on choices of the owners!

So what I want to say by my example? If you have breed which is not "typical" working breed - typical meaning that people who want working dog prefer this breed over others, if this breed is relatively minor in number of dogs and therefore most of dogs are relatives in fifth generation, then there is quite a little probability of creating working lines if you want to avoid inbreeding (which is certainly not good for good character). You have working pseudo lines created by psychology of people. This does not mean that the dogs are not good working dogs. it means only that they are more used for making exams. Real working line could be established by separating it from other, non-working lines, but that would mean not only that it could include only exam-making dogs, but also that those dogs used should not be used in the reminder of the gene pool. And in working breed you don't want to avoid using good dogs in breeding. And I think good character is wanted by most people, not only by those who want to make exams.

This is my opinion only, so if you don't agree I have no problem with it, it is just gut feeling. And to comment on Frei Maly Bysterec, daugter of Aron Maly Bysterec - if she was owned by another kind of person she would be material for working exams I think.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote