View Single Post
Old 13-12-2012, 06:43   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Hi, Zaz is a dog somewhat familiar on another forum, Galomy Oak Botolf. From knowing other Vlcak who lived/were living with cats (as with basically all other dogs), you have four scenarios:

- Vlcak learns to leave cat alone
- Vlcak learns to be gentle and play to the cat's level
- Vlcak likes to 'play' with the cat (bully it, mostly) with the opportunity rises, but wouldn't seriously hurt it otherwise (sort of like living with a small breed dog and a vlcak)
- It's not safe to keep Vlcak around cat, they must be separated.

In all circumstances I think it basically comes down to management..... I think there is no 'fair' way to cull an animal's inherent prey drive especially if you ever consider leaving the animals alone together unsupervised. Depending on the excitement level, you can very strongly enforce a 'leave it' and go from there...

For me, my Vlcaks and my small dogs basically are the third category, and I always have had to enforce a strong 'leave it' which is generally respected. But still I don't leave them alone together yet when I'm not home to monitor it... my Vlcaks definitely do try to bully the minis even if they retaliate, because the vlcaks think it's great fun to illicit some reaction..

Last edited by yukidomari; 13-12-2012 at 06:52.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote