View Single Post
Old 31-12-2010, 06:40   #53
Gypsy Wolf

Default Re: Contracts & HD

Ina, the problem with contracts - especially from Europe - is enforcing them. I have been involved in importing (probably hundreds by now) GSD and Belgian Shepherds from Europe since 1994 and have NEVER had a breeder even suggest a contract. It is nice to see there are a few Vlcak breeders who do it, but even so, how to enforce it here? We have problems enforcing contracts even across state lines, let alone across the pond... I have a contract for each of my puppies, but again, I can list a bunch of "failed" contracts I have heard about from other dog friends... especially if you do not have the money for a big legal battle. And even the flip side - I know of a guy whose 7 month old GSD dropped dead from Sub-Aortic Stenosis and the breeder ended up not holding up her end of the bargain...
Yukodomari, I have attended a multitude of Breeder's Symposiums both at the University of Pennsylvania and University of Florida and HD is described as a multi-factorial issue. Yes, genetics play a big part, but environment and nutrition do, too. A pup with the best genetics can develop HD from inappropriate environment (slick kennel surface) or bad nutrition (puppy food which has an inappropriate calcium to phosphorous ratio and often too much protein as well as unbalanced raw diet). In fact, as a vet tech I saw this so often that in my own puppy contract I stipulate environment and nutritional needs to hopefully prevent problems.
I am sure you can find scientific studies and information by contacting PennHIP vet Dr. Gail Smith. There is a lot of "anecdotal" stuff out there online, too - ask the Dane people about the evils of puppy food! - or I am sure if there are breeders seminars offered in your area... Pat Hastings goes into it in her Puppy Puzzle seminar, too, with a very impressive collection of her own information - pictures, etc...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote